Roasted Beet Salad
- 1 bunch beets (3/4 pound without greens or 1 1/4 pound with), trimmed
- 1/4 cup sliced natural almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large Asian pear
- 3 cups māche or baby arugula (3 ounces)
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Wrap beets in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Unwrap beets and cool.
While beets are roasting, cook almonds in oil in a small skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until pale
golden. Cool almonds in oil (nuts will get darker as they cool). Transfer almonds with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and
season with salt.
Stir together shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and oil from almonds in a large bowl.
Slip skins from beets and halve large beets. Cut beets into 1/4-inch-thick slices and add to dressing, tossing to coat.
Quarter and core pear and cut into julienne strips.
Arrange beets on a platter and drizzle with any dressing remaining in bowl. Top with māche, then pear. Sprinkle with almonds.