Maple Horseradish Glazed Beets
- 1 3/4 lb medium beets (3 3/4 lb with greens), stems trimmed to 1 inch
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons bottled horseradish (not drained)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup (preferably dark amber or Grade B)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
Wrap beets in foil and roast until tender, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into eighths, then
transfer to a bowl.
Melt butter with horseradish, syrup, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat. Stir in beets
and boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid in skillet is reduced to about 1/4 cup and beets are coated, 4 to 5 minutes